Free Tai Chi Program Hosted by RMCBP and CARES Health & Wellness
May 10, 2011
Hudson, FL – Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point and CARES Health & Wellness announce they are presenting “Tai Chi: Moving for Better Balance.” The free program consists of two 60 minute classes a week for 12 weeks. The classes will be conducted by CARES and held at the Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point Conference Center at 1 pm Mondays and Fridays beginning July 11, 2011. For more information and to register call 727-869-5498 or 888-741-5119.
This Tai Chi program represents the result from years of scientific research and study. The program focuses on prevention of falls with the hope that through regular practice, Tai Chi will improve one’s balance and reduce the likelihood of falling. There are eight single forms in the program, all of which are derived from the traditional, well known, 24-Form Yang Style Tai Chi but tailored to community adults who wish to improve balance and mobility. All forms adhere to the fundamental principles of traditional Tai Chi and involve weight bearing and non-weight bearing stances, posturally correct body alignment, and multiple, coordinated movements executed in a continuous, circular, and flowing manner. Performance of the forms is closely synchronized with natural breathing, that is, each single movement coordinates with the inhale and exhale breathing cycle. The eight single forms are arranged in a sequential order, following a progression from easy to more difficult. Each of these forms can be performed and practiced repeatedly as a single movement or in combination as part of a routine.
The program is being coordinated by Pat Sovonick, PhD, LMHC (Licensed Mental Health Counselor), home care consultant, health and wellness coordinator for Community Aging & Retirement Services (CARES).
About Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point has achieved distinction in the following areas:
- Certified Advanced Heart Failure - Joint Commission (1st in the State of Florida - 1/2010)
- Certified Advance Primary Stroke Center - Joint Commission
- American Heart Association 2010 Get With the Guidelines Triple Performance Award Winner
- Gold Award in Coronary Artery Disease
- Gold Plus Award in Heart Failure
- Gold Plus Award in Stroke
- American Heart Association's 2009 Stroke Silver Plus Performance Award Winner (1st in State of Florida)
- Heart & Stroke Champions Award Winner 1998 – 2010
- Wound Care and Accredited Hyperbaric Medicine
- MRI, CT, and Nuclear Medicine Accredited - American College of Radiology
- Approved, with Commendation, Community Cancer Program - American College of Surgeons.
- Accredited Chest Pain Center, with PCI - Society of Chest Pain Centers.
- Designated a 100 Top Hospital seven years by Thomson Reuters
- Named twice (1999 & 2002) by U.S. News & World Report as one of America’s Best Hospitals in Heart and Heart Surgery.
Marketing & Public Relations Contact: