Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point Approved as Provisional Level II Trauma Center
November 22, 2011
Hudson, FL - Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point announced today that the Florida Department of Health, Office of Trauma has approved their application to become a Provisional Level II Trauma Center.
“For more than sixteen months, the staff at Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point has been working hard to continue our history of providing the highest levels of critical medical care to our community through the development of a trauma service,” said Shayne George, Chief Executive Office. “This designation means we can now provide residents of Pasco and surrounding counties with trauma care in their own community and ensure that critically injured patients have access to treatment within the “golden hour” – the first hour after a serious injury during which there is the highest likelihood that prompt medical attention will prevent death.”
The development of a Trauma program was a natural next step in the evolution of Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point and is a very proud milestone for the hospital. More than $4.5 million has already been invested in developing the program, which is part of the HCA Florida and USF Health affiliation agreement for trauma care which supports local needs for trauma services through an affiliation with a major academic university and medical school.
“We’ve done amazing things in our emergency services department by minimizing ER wait times and far exceeding the national averages for treating heart attack and stroke patients”, explains Pam Schlicher, Vice President of Emergency and Trauma Services at Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point. “Having a Trauma Center here will mean faster treatment for trauma patients which could be the difference between life and death and will satisfy a huge need in our community.”
About Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point
Regional Medical Center Bayonet has been serving the community since 1981. We are a 290-bed acute care facility located in Hudson, FL and home of the nationally acclaimed Heart Institute. We have over 350 physicians, 900 employees and 500 volunteers who comprise our integrated healthcare delivery team.
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point has achieved distinction in the following areas:
- Certified Advanced Heart Failure - Joint Commission (1st in the State of Florida - 1/2010)
- Certified Advance Primary Stroke Center - Joint Commission
- Recipient of the 2011 American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines® Gold Plus Performance Achievement Award.
- Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point is the only hospital in the Tampa Bay area to achieve the Gold Plus standard in both heart failure and stroke.
- American Heart Association's 2009 Stroke Silver Plus Performance Award Winner (1st in the State of Florida)
- Heart & Stroke Champions Award Winner 1998 – 2010
- Wound Care and Accredited Hyperbaric Medicine
- MRI, CT, Ultrasound, and Nuclear Medicine Accredited - American College of Radiology
- Approved, with Commendation, Community Cancer Program - American College of Surgeons.
- Accredited Chest Pain Center, with PCI - Society of Chest Pain Centers.
- Designated a 100 Top Hospital seven years by Thomson Reuters
- Named twice (1999 & 2002) by U.S. News & World Report as one of America’s Best Hospitals in Heart and Heart Surgery.
Marketing & Public Relations Contact: