Volunteers of the Year Awarded
May 30, 2011
Hudson, Florida – Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point has announced that Barbara Benson and Otto Ottaviano have been awarded the distinction of female and male Volunteer of the Year, respectively. Each year a male and female volunteer is chosen as the facility’s volunteers of the year. The nominees are taken from volunteers who either receive a five star award or one star appreciation award in the past or are nominated by fellow volunteers or employees. The volunteer’s scholarship committee is assigned to review all nominations and sends four finalists in each category to the volunteer board of directors who subsequently choose the recipients.
The awardd were announced at the annual Volunteer Awards and Recognition Banquet that was held at the Spartan Manor, Sunday, April 10th.
The 2010 recipients are:
Barbara Benson who started volunteering in July 2004 and has 4,123 hours. Barbara volunteers in the Surgical Waiting Room and is excellent with the staff, physicians and especially with the patient’s loved ones. She has the ability to help the visitors feel relaxed because of her patience, her knowledge of the hospital and her wonderful smile. She also helps to train new volunteers going into the Surgical Waiting Room. Last year she organized a committee to hold a Bazaar. She helped collect the items, mark the prices, set up the tables and sell the items the day of the sale. At the end of the long day she gathered everyone and made arrangements for items not sold to be brought to Hospice. She is a little “energizer bunny.”All of the proceeds went to the Heart Walk. Barbara is truly deserving of the Female Volunteer of the Year Award.
Otto Ottaviano started volunteering in April 1996 and has 11,277 hours. Otto volunteers in our Physicial Therapy Department and in the CPRU Unit. Both areas sing Otto’s praise. In Physical Therapy they said he is very helpful to the patients and the people that use the exercise equipment. He is always ready to help in any way he can. In the CPRU they said that after he sets up the room for the nurses he visits the patients and speaks with the family to add that special touch. Otto is always ready to help with anything. He comes in for special projects, he helps bake for our Bake Sales to raise money for The American Heart Association and the American Cancer Society and, as one volunteer put it “Otto is the kindest person you every want to meet.” Otto is truly deserving of the Male Volunteer of the year.
About Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point has achieved distinction in the following areas:
- Certified Advanced Heart Failure - Joint Commission (1st in the State of Florida - 1/2010)
- Certified Advance Primary Stroke Center - Joint Commission
- American Heart Association 2010 Get With the Guidelines Triple Performance Award Winner
- Gold Award in Coronary Artery Disease
- Gold Plus Award in Heart Failure
- Gold Plus Award in Stroke
- American Heart Association's 2009 Stroke Silver Plus Performance Award Winner (1st in State of Florida)
- Heart & Stroke Champions Award Winner 1998 – 2010
- Wound Care and Accredited Hyperbaric Medicine
- MRI, CT, and Nuclear Medicine Accredited - American College of Radiology
- Approved, with Commendation, Community Cancer Program - American College of Surgeons.
- Accredited Chest Pain Center, with PCI - Society of Chest Pain Centers.
- Designated a 100 Top Hospital seven years by Thomson Reuters
- Named twice (1999 & 2002) by U.S. News & World Report as one of America’s Best Hospitals in Heart and Heart Surgery.
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point is located at14000 Fivay Road, Hudson, FL 34667.
Marketing & Public Relations Contact: