GERD develops over time due to a variety of factors. There are no specific guidelines to help prevent GERD, but there are steps you can take to manage risk factors.
- If you smoke, talk to your doctor about how you can quit. Quitting will improve overall health and restore proper blood flow and nerve function to the esophagus.
- Maintain a proper weight. Excess weight increases pressure on the abdomen.
- Exercise regularly—Moderate exercise helps with weight control and overall well-being.
- Reviewer: Daus Mahnke, MD
- Review Date: 06/2016 -
- Update Date: 05/20/2015 -