Preventing Traumatic Injury
To help reduce your chances of trauma, the CDC and the National Safety Council recommend that you take the following steps:
- Always use seat belts.
- Never drive or operate any equipment while under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Certain medicines can be dangerous as well.
- Do not use a cell phone while driving.
- Keep poisons, medicine, and cleaning supplies locked up. Keep them away from small children.
- Teach children to swim. Teach all family members about water safety.
- Develop a fire safety plan.
- Make sure all alarm and fire equipment is up to date (eg, smoke alarms, carbon monoxide alarms, and fire extinguishers).
- If you have firearms in the house, make sure they are kept unloaded. Keep them in a locked location.
- Wear helmets while biking.
- Wear the right safety equipment for all sports and recreation activities.
- Wear appropriate protective gear when using power tools.
- Help prevent falls in the home. Install night lights, grab bars, and hand rails.
- Avoid putting yourself at risk for an accident, violence, or other physical trauma.
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point is now offering A Matter of Balance, a proven program designed to help people manage concerns about falls and increase physical activity.
A Matter of Balance helps participants become more confident about managing falls by believing that they can increase their strength, find ways to reduce falls, and protect themselves if they do fall. In addition, participants report that they have increased the amount they exercise on a regular basis.
Seating is limited and reservations are required. For more information and reservations call 1-877-4-HCA-DOCS (1-877-442-2362) or visit our event calendar.
Safe Kids Pasco County
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point is committed to preventing childhood injury and is proud to be affiliated with Safe Kids Pasco County. For more information on preventing injuries at home, or at play, please follow this link to Safe Kids USA: http://www.safekids.org/
For a "free" brochure on Water Safety and/or "Water Watcher' stickers, please call, toll free (888) 741-5119.
Ride Smart Florida
May is Trauma Month
Learn more about distracted drivers with these helpful resources:
- Distracted Driver Brochure (PDF - 1.79 MB)
- Distracted Driver Brochure - Inside (PDF - 1.56 MB)
- Distracted Driver Pledge (PDF - 2.62 MB)
- Distracted Passenger Brochure (PDF - 327.61 KB)
- Distracted Passenger Brochure - Inside (PDF - 876.08 KB)