(Z-E Syndrome; Gastrinoma)
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Your or family members with MEN 1
- History of endocrine disorders
- Recurrent peptic ulcers
- Abdominal pain
- Nausea or vomiting
- Weight loss
- Blood in the vomit or stool
- Blood tests—specifically to look for elevated levels of the hormone gastrin or evidence of MEN 1
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy—a flexible tube with a light and camera is inserted down the throat and into the stomach and intestine to look for ulcers
Surgical Removal of Tumor
Medications for Ulcers
- Proton pump inhibitors
- H-2 blockers
- Somatostatin analogs to control tumor growth
- Chemotherapy may be used in those who have rapidly growing tumors or for tumors that can't be removed
American Gastroenterological Association http://www.gastro.org
National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov
The Canadian Association of Gastroenterology http://www.cag-acg.org
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Berna MJ, Hoffmann KM, et al. Serum gastrin in Zollinger-Ellison syndrome: II. Prospective study of gastrin provocative testing in 293 patients from the National institutes of Health and comparison with 537 cases from the literature, evaluation of diagnostic criteria, proposal of new criteria, and correlations with clinical and tumoral features. Medicine. 2006;85:331-364.
Campana D, Piscitelli L, et al. Zollinger-Ellison syndrome: diagnosis and therapy. Minerva Med. 2005;96:167-206.
Norton JA, Fraker DL, et al. Surgery to cure the Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. N Engl J Med. 1999;341:635-644.
Norton JA, Jensen RT. Resolved and unresolved controversies in the surgical management of patients with Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome. Ann Surg. 2004;240:757-773.
Tomassetti P, Salomone T, et al. Optimal treatment of Zollinger-Ellison syndrome and related conditions in elderly patients. Drgus Aging. 2003;20:1019-1034.
Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php. Updated March 5, 2013. Accessed August 1, 2013.
Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse website. Available at: http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/zollinger. Updated May 10, 2012. Accessed August 1, 2013.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 08/2013 -
- Update Date: 05/11/2013 -