(Viral Sore Throat)
|Sore Throat Due to Inflammation|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Sore, red, swollen throat
- Trouble swallowing
- Swollen, tender lymph nodes in the neck and behind the ears
- Decreased appetite
Over-the-Counter Pain Medication
- Note: Aspirin is not recommended for children with a current or recent viral infection. Check with your doctor before giving your child aspirin.
- Gargling with warm salt water can help relieve a sore throat.
- Using throat lozenges.
- Drinking plenty of fluids. Hot drinks and soups can be very soothing for a sore throat.
- Using running a cool-mist humidifier. It can help keep your nasal passages moist and reduce congestion.
- Practice good hygiene, including careful hand washing.
- Don't share food or beverages with other people.
- Avoid areas where people are smoking.
American Academy of Family Physicians http://www.aafp.org
American Academy of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery http://www.entnet.org
The College of Family Physicians of Canada http://www.cfpc.ca
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Bisno AL. Acute pharyngitis. N Engl J Med. 2001 Jan 18;344(3):205-11.
Coco A, Kleinhans E. Prevalence of primary HIV infection in symptomatic ambulatory patients. Ann Fam Med. 2005;3(5):400-404.
Frye R, Bailey J, et al. Clinical inquiries. Which treatments provide the most relief for pharyngitis pain? J Fam Pract. 2011;60(5):293-294.
Murray RC, Chennupati SK. Chronic streptococcal and non-streptococcal pharyngitis. Infect Discord Drug Targets. 2012;12(4):281-285.
Pharyngitis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us . Updated May 16, 2013. Accessed August 26, 2013.
Recognizing primary HIV-1 infection. Infect Med. 1999;16(2):104-108,110.
Sore throats. American Academy of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery website. Available at: http://www.entnet.org/HealthInformation/soreThroats.cfm . Accessed August 26, 2013.
The respiratory tract and its infections. Harv Health Lett. 2010;35(4):1-4.