- Cow's milk
- Tree nuts such as walnuts and pecans
- Sesame seeds
- Skin rash, especially hives
- Swelling in the lips, mouth, tongue, and throat
- Stomach cramps, pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Skin itching
- Shortness of breath
- Nasal congestion
- Severe drop in blood pressure
- Gurgling stomach
|© Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Scratch Skin Test
RAST or ELISA Test
- Epinephrine —injected immediately in the event of a severe, life-threatening reaction (anaphylaxis)
- Antihistamine medication —to decrease swelling and itching
- Corticosteroid medication—for more severe swelling and itching
- Avoid eating or drinking substances to which you know you are allergic.
- Read the ingredient label on every food product that you eat.
- If you go to a restaurant, discuss your allergy with the food server. Ask about all ingredients.
- Learn the other names for all your allergens. This will help you recognize them on an ingredients list.
- If you have a severe, anaphylactic-type food allergy, ask your doctor if you should carry a dose of epinephrine with you.
- Consider wearing a medical alert bracelet to inform others of your allergy.
- Be aware that food may become contaminated by shared utensils, containers, and during preparation.
American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology http://www.aaaai.org
Food Allergy Research and Education http://www.foodallergy.org
Allergy Asthma Information Association http://aaia.ca
Calgary Allergy Network http://www.calgaryallergy.ca
Boyce JA, Assa'ad A, Burks AW, et al. Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of food allergy in the United States: summary of the NIAID-sponsored expert panel report. Nutr Res. 2011 Jan;31(1):61-75.
Food allergy. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated March 31, 2014. Accessed September 25, 2014.
Food allergy: an overview. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases website. Available at: http://www3.niaid.nih.gov/topics/foodAllergy/PDF/foodallergy.pdf. Accessed September 25, 2014.
- Reviewer: Marcin Chwistek, MD
- Review Date: 08/2014 -
- Update Date: 09/25/2014 -