(Bird Flu, H5N1 Infection)
|Virus Attacking Cell|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Saliva or blood
- Nasal secretions
- Get a yearly flu vaccine. This is the best step to prevent an infection with influenza virus.
- Avoid traveling to areas where there are avian influenza outbreaks. For the latest travel information, visit the CDC's Traveler's Health page.
- Avoid contact with potentially infected poultry or swine. This includes farms or open air markets.
- Wash your hands often if you are in an area where exposure to the influenza virus is possible. Be sure that hands are washed before preparing food. Use a hand sanitizer if clean water is not available for washing.
Centers for Disease Control http://www.cdc.gov/
World Health Organization http://www.who.int/
Canadian Medical Association http://www.cma.ca/
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/
Avian influenza. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php . Updated August 2009. Accessed May 15, 2013.
Avian Influenza A Virus Infections in Humans. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avianflu/avian-in-humans.htm. Updated June 21, 2012. Accessed May 15, 2013.
Avian Influenza in Humans. World Health Organization website. Available at: http://www.who.int/influenza/human%5Fanimal%5Finterface/avian%5Finfluenza/en/. Accessed May 15, 2013.
Cohen J, Powderly WG. Infectious Diseases . 2nd ed. New York, NY: Elsevier; 2004.
Cornelissen LA, de Vries RP, de Boer-Luijtze EA, Rigter A, Rottier PJ, de Haan CA. A single immunization with soluble recombinant trimeric hemagglutinin protects chickens against highly pathogenic avian influenza virus H5N1. PLoS One. 2010;5(5):e10645.
H5N1 Avian Flu. Flu.gov website. Available at: http://www.flu.gov/about%5Fthe%5Fflu/h5n1/index.html#. Updated June 21, 2012. Accessed May 15, 2013.
Kilany WH, Arafa A, Erfan AM, et al. Isolation of highly pathogenic avian influenza H5N1 from table eggs after vaccinal break in commercial layer flock. Avian Dis. 2010;54(3):1115-1119.
Weir E, Wong T, Gemmill T. Avian influenza outbreak: update. CMAJ . 2004;170:785-786.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 05/2013 -
- Update Date: 05/15/2013 -