Stroke is the leading cause of long-term disability among adults in the United States and the fourth leading cause of death (behind diseases of the heart and all forms of cancer). Nearly 800,000 people suffer new or recurrent stroke each year, and almost 165,000 die of the condition.
The Stroke Center at Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point is a state-of-the-art stroke prevention and treatment program, providing a seamless system of handling patients from the emergency room through rehabilitation.
Call for a free magnet with the Warning Signs of a Stroke at 1-877-442-2362.
Certified Primary Stroke Center
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point has been certified by the Joint Commission (JC) as a Primary Stroke Center. To achieve certification, Medical Center Bayonet Point has assembled a team of highly skilled medical professionals - including emergency physicians, surgeons, neurologists, nurses, therapists, laboratory and pharmacy staff, and radiologists - who are specially trained to respond quickly to the needs of a stroke patient.
When a patient comes to the Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point emergency departments with symptoms of stroke:
- A trained Stroke Team is available around the clock, seven days a week, to evaluate a stroke patient within 15 minutes of arrival
- Each patient is evaluated and treated using a uniform and extensive set of guidelines that address both emergency treatment and ongoing care
- A head CT scan or brain MRI scan can be performed and interpreted within 45 minutes of the stroke patient being admitted
- A fully functioning medical laboratory is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week to analyze and provide test results in a timely manner
- Tele-nurology consult evaluation within 15 minutes of arrival.
Program of Care
We also treat any underlying problems - such as vascular disease or atherosclerosis - that may be the cause of stroke, and offers:
- The latest advances in stroke care, ranging from "clot-busting" drugs.
- Stroke nurses who coordinate the care of stroke patients.
- Acute Stroke Team - a team of clinicians experienced in the diagnosis and treatment of stroke who are available around-the-clock for stroke emergencies
- Rehabilitation specialists committed to helping survivors regain a comfortable quality of life.
- A multi-specialty Stroke Committee reviews patient care and outcomes.